Monday, September 20, 2010

Evolution of Networks

As I'm sitting here reviewing basic network vocabulary for Jason's test this afternoon, I'm realizing how much networks have evolved over the last 10 years (the amount of time I've been working with IT). The first computer I took apart had a 10 megabit ethernet card and was running through a 56k dialup modem. Residential networking was basically non-existent and even high-performance computing had barely dreamed of gigabit speeds. Now I'm sitting here typing on a computer that is running on a complete gigabit network. Our High-performance computer clusters are using 10 gigabit ethernet cards and fiber optic networks that can potentially get even faster. It's amazing what 10 years of evolution has given us in the world of IT. I can't imagine what we'll have in the next 10 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment