Wednesday, November 24, 2010

college - a place for lazy people

This has proven to be an enlightening semester. I've had several technology related classes in which I was far more knowledgeable than the rest of the class. Throughout these classes I had multiple people come ask me to help them with projects, homework, and other assignments. While I don't usually mind helping people, it became increasingly annoying as I realized most of these people are just lazy. It's not that everyone in my classes is too stupid to learn how to work with technology, it's that they haven't ever had to actually sit down and learn how to use a new technology. I think if we could find a way to force students to learn that real IT implementation consists of actually having to sit down and figure out how to use something you've probably never used or seen before, we might make great strides towards becoming a top 20 University. Friends I have who've graduated that seem to have this same problem are finding it very difficult to get jobs or promotions. It would look much better for Clemson to be graduating students who are going to be able to actually go out into the workforce and be productive. Very few students get immediate jobs in management. Typically you have to actually learn how to do something first before you get to manage other people who do that particular job.

No comments:

Post a Comment